Concerts in the Village
presents choral and instrumental classical music in Kinderhook, NY.
“A stunning all Handel concert at the Kinderhook Reformed Church on November 9 was one of the finest musical events of its kind in many seasons. Maestro Smith has brought his musical forces to heights of musical grandeur. . . . This third Handel concert of the series reached heights of sustained musical beauty….In a short time ‘Concerts in the Village’ has taken on a major musical role in the Upper Hudson Valley.”
-John Paul Keeler, On the Scene, Columbia-Green Media, Nov 15, 2014
Seventh Annual Celebration of Lessons & Carols
a Gift to the Community
Readings & Music of the Season
December 18, 2016. Sunday
21 Broad Street, Kinderhook, 4:00 p.m. Free-will offering
Kinderhook Reformed Church.
Traditional hymns & carols
Choral works by
- and others
The New Season:
Concerts in the Village 2016-2017
Broad Street Chorale (BSC) & Broad Street Orchestra (BSO)
October 1, 2016
Annual Benefit Concert, Stuyvesant, 4:00 p.m. Donation $100 (minimum per person)
In support of its 2016-2017 season, at 4:00 p.m. on October 1, 2016 CITV’s annual benefit concert and reception – Artists Thanking Donors – will once again be held at picturesque Keene Farm in Stuyvesant. Exceptional music making by CITV performers, followed by food and libation. Each person who has donated $100 or more to CITV since last year’s Annual Benefit Concert may attend. Note that seating is limited to 100. Further details, including directions, will be sent to qualifying contributors to CITV’s annual appeal and are also available at 518-758-6869.
Artists Thanking Donors was first offered in 2013 and highlights the rich body of instrumental and vocal talent featured in CITV’s regular concerts. The benefit concert is about an hour in length and is followed by a sumptuous reception, with a particularly dramatic vista of the Hudson Valley and the Catskill Mountains to the west. Music, fine food, libation, and a spectacular setting – a combination not to be missed!
October 29, 2016
Baroque & Classical, Kinderhook, 4:00 p.m. Donation $20
A baroque-classical program reintroducing the long-neglected, but acoustically superb performing space on the second level of the Kinderhook Village Hall, 6 Chatham Street, Kinderhook, NY
- S. Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 1, BWV 1046a (1st version)
- F. Handel: Concerto grosso in e minor, HWV 321
- C. F. Bach: Sinfonia in d minor, HW I/3
- A. Mozart: Two Concert Arias, K.272 and K. 374 (Kameryn Lueng, soprano)
- Haydn: Symphony 22 in E flat (“Der Philosoph”), Hob I:22
November 13, 2016
21 Broad Street, Kinderhook NY, 3:00 p.m. Donation $20
High drama for chorus (BSC), orchestra (BSO) and soprano, countertenor, tenor, and baritone soloists.
Katherine Rossiter (soprano), Daniel Moody (countertenor), Christopher Sokolowski (tenor), and Peter Rolfe Dauz (baritone
Kinderhook Reformed Church.
- Coronation anthem no. 1: Zadok the Priest, HWV 258
- Aria “Look down, harmonious saint,” HWV 124
- Ode for the Birthday of Queen Anne, HWV 74
- Concerto a due cori no. 1 in B flat, HWV 332
- Dettingen Te Deum, HWV 283
December 9 and 18, 2016
Music of the holiday season, Kinderhook
December 9, in the recently renovated Kinderhook Village Hall (second floor) space for Candlelight Night in the Village of Kinderhook, and, as traditionally, on December 18 at Kinderhook Reformed Church for the seventh annual Celebration of Lessons and Carols. (BSC)
Midwinter Sunday, 2017 (January or February)
Twentieth Century at the School, 2:00 p.m. Donation $20
Magically textured 20th century music for strings (BSO), women’s voices (BSC), and soloists. The School | Jack Shainman Gallery.
- R. Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
- Benjamin Britten: Les Illuminations, op. 18 (Amanda Boyd, soprano)
- Camille Saints-Saëns: La Nuit, op. 114 (soprano TBA; Elizabeth Chinery, flute)
- Francis Poulenc: Litanies à la Vierge Noire, FP 82 (2nd version)
- Arthur Foote: Suite for String Orchestra, op. 63
April 2, 2017
Masterpieces from the Classical Age, Kinderhook, 3:00 p.m. Donation $20
For chorus (BSC), orchestra (BSO), and soloists. Kinderhook Reformed Church.
- C. Bach: Overture to Artaserse, W.G 1
- Haydn: Sinfonia Concertante in B flat, Hob I:105 (Elizabeth Silver, violin; Erica Pickhardt, cello; Karen Hosmer, oboe; Cornelia McGiver, bassoon)
- A. Mozart: Great Mass in c minor, K. 427 (soloists TBA)
Late spring Saturday, 2017 (Under consideration)
Igor Stravinsky, Kinderhook, 4:00 p.m. Donation $20
Igor Stravinsky ’s wonderfully engaging tale Histoire du Soldat and other works (BSO members with narrator). Kinderhook Village Hall.
Reserve a Seat
Masterpieces of the Romantic Age
by Mendelssohn, Brahms, and Wagner
Sunday, April 10 at 3:00 p.m.
21 Broad Street, Kinderhook, NY David Smith, Artistic Director and Conductor
- Richard Wagner: Siegfried Idyll
- Johannes Brahms: Alto Rhapsody, op. 53
- Johannes Brahms: Schicksalslied
- Felix Mendelssohn: Come, let us sing for joy, op. 46
- Felix Mendelssohn: As pants the hart, op. 42,
- Amanda Boyd-Grout, soprano
- Vicki Smith, mezzo-soprano
- Marjorie Elinor Dix, alto
- Jon Morrell, tenor